A visa is issued for an alien to live and or work in the US for a temporary period of time whereas Permanent Residency or a “Green Card” allows an individual to remain in the United States indefinitely. Permanent Residents have most of the same rights as citizens with the exception that residents cannot vote and can lose their residency through abandonment, treason and certain criminal records.

While immediate family members of U.S. citizens – parents, spouses, and minor children – are automatically eligible to apply for a green card as immediate relatives, there are levels of priority for all other foreigners who want to become U.S. immigrants. This includes:

  • Adult children of U.S. citizens, married children and their family having a lower priority than single children
  • Siblings of U.S. citizens
  • Skilled workers and professionals
  • Religious workers

We are proud to work hard for the rights of those who wish to live the American dream. If you or someone you love wants to have their green card, please contact us today. We’ll put you in touch with our experienced, courteous New York immigration attorneys. We’re here to help.

How Can We Help you?

Fill out my online form.