The following employment-based categories are common avenues for working in the United States on a temporary or temporary-to-permanent basis:

  • EB-1 Priority Workers are those with recognized extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics, as well as outstanding professors or researchers and managers or executives transferred to the U.S.
  • EB-2 Professionals with advanced degrees or people with exceptional ability in the sciences, arts or business, as well as qualified physicians planning to practice medicine in under-served areas.
  • EB-3 Skilled or professional workers with bachelor’s degrees, two years’ experience or unskilled status.
  • EB-4 Special Immigrants, including religious workers and employees of the U.S. Government abroad.
  • EB-5 Immigrant Investors who want to set up or have begun to invest in a new commercial enterprise.

If you are seeking a visa to work in the United States on a short-term basis, please see our page on work visas.

If, on the other hand, you are seeking permanent residency for the purpose of working legally in the U.S. long term, talk to a lawyer about the most direct path to a green card for yourself, your employee or your family member. Our attorneys have years of experience helping clients obtain employment-related lawful permanent residency.

Specifically, our law firm is prepared to advise you through the process of obtaining the most appropriate visa to allow you (or someone you seek to sponsor) to live and work permanently in the U.S. Contact us for advice and assistance with the process of obtaining a work-related green card as follows:

  • If your petition is approved, the Department of State will give you an immigrant visa number.
  • If you are already living in the U.S. on visa status, you must apply for a change of status to permanent resident.
  • If you are living outside the U.S., you will receive notice to complete the green card application process at a U.S. Consulate office in your country.
  • Your employer will determine that you are eligible for lawful permanent residency (LPR) according to the standards set by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • Your employer will submit a labor certification request (ETA-750) on your behalf to the Department of Labor’s (DOL) Employment and Training Administration.
  • The Department of Labor will approve or deny the request.
  • If your request is denied, you may wish to explore opportunities to appeal that decision.
  • If your request is approved, your employer sponsor will submit an immigrant visa petition (Form I-140) at a USCIS service center on your behalf.
  • If your petition is denied, you may seek opportunities to appeal that decision.

New York Immigration Lawyers Advise and Assist With Employment-Based Permanent Residency

Our experienced New York Immigration Lawyers assist clients in many locations with permanent residency applications and other immigration matters. We have represented clients throughout the United States. For more information or assistance with your employment-related green card application, regardless of where you are located in the U.S. or throughout the world, we can help.

How Can We Help you?

Fill out my online form.